1.30.2009

I feel like a dwarf

What do you do when there is 5-foot wainscoting in your living room?  

I never thought it would be a big deal, but hanging pictures has been totally problematic. I seriously feel like I'm in a fun house. Everything that seemed large in our last apartment, from the gigantic mirror to our canvas print of Black Rock Beach, is now dwarfed by tall ceilings and the wainscoting. I'm really good at pretending something isn't there and just covering it up, but the problem is that a shelf running the entire perimeter of the room tops off the wainscoting, so pictures have to be hung above it

Why am I complaining?  WTF?!  I've never had this problem, but it's a good spot to be in. . .I'd rather be plagued by lofty wainscoting than small, cramped rooms. I love this place, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to feel my typical 5'7" and not 3'4".   

If you have suggestions for hanging pictures in a tall room, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I had to google wainscoting to find out what it was! Did you figure out what to do??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should hang a horizontal line of smaller pictures right above the rail on the wainscoting. You may have to bang the canvas print if it doesn't look good resting on the rail (and if there's no room w/o the tall wainscoting). The gigantic mirror, if it's tallish, would look cool hanging over the rail and onto the wainscoting. Orrrrr you could ..... hang a tension wire above the rail and clip an etsy collection of prints/photos/postcards from that. Painting the walls above the wainscoting a dark color would cozy up a room, it that's an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about the smaller pictures above the wainscoting. I think we're going to print out a few from our trip. Too bad we're not painting in there!

    Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete