3.31.2009

Security blanket

The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass is one of my favorite novels. The entire chapter when Oskar describes his grandmother's skirts and, eventually, how his mother was created underneath them is so well written.

Heaving a heavy sigh. . . my grandmother . . . lifted high her skirt, no, all four skirts, high enough so that Short and Wide, could crawl underneath. . .he had vanished with his fright; all was as still as on the first day of Creation or the last; a bit of wind hummed in the potato fire, the telegraph poles counted themselves in silence, the chimney of the brickworks stood at attention, and my grandmother smoothed down her uppermost skirt neatly and sensibly over the second one. . .and her third skirt wasn't even aware that there was anything new and unusual next to her skin.

The image of a fugitive hiding underneath a stranger's skirts in the middle of a field is unexpected, comical and magical. Her layers transform into the fort you build on bad days or the pile of blankets you crawl under to stay safe. As a kid, I believed if you hid your entire body, head included, under the covers and sprawled yourself so it looked like a bunch of wrinkles, then you'd be safe. Seriously, my mom couldn't even tell my foot from my elbow. 

Although I'm not in hiding anymore, I still enjoy a good blanket at the end of the day, and I still build forts. Case in point, this is what happens when the fort is destroyed because I realized that I couldn't drink a beer or watch Mad Men in there. I have 10-12 blankets for the purpose of fort building or curling up.


Now that the secret's out, let's run the gamut of blankets, including lush to budget-friendly.


Hudson Bay Club: four point blanket


The Sleep Room: cashmere blanket


Design Public: Designer's Eye Blanket


Missoni Home: Humbert Throw

Ikea: Stockholm Blanket

Branch: Tracks Plaid Blanket


Swan's Island: Summer Striped Blanket


Free People: Pucker Kimono Blanket


Sundance: Balcazar Throw



Sleep now or forever hold your peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment