3.16.2009

Woodblock prints

Who would guess their parents' art collection would make a lasting impression? In my childhood home, Joichi Hoshi and Tadashi Nakayama occupied our hallways and bedrooms. My two eternal loves were combined by these artists--trees and all things ethereal. I was captivated by the prints' organic complexity and intrigued by wood as a medium to produce movement because it appears so unyielding, yet truly is just as intricate as the prints. 

Nakayama: Afternoon, Riding Horse Festival

Nakayama: Girl with Poppies


Hoshi: Red


Hoshi: Treetops
Bios provided by Hendricks Art Collection.

I continue to appreciate woodblock artists, old or new, rare or attainable. Thanks to all who continue working in this timeless medium!

Rare finds
Gustave Baumann: title unknown

Kaoru Kawano: Three Eyes



Attainable finds

Edamame Press: Red Hydrangeas


Tugboat Printshop: High Seas Drifter

5 comments:

  1. How do I follow your blog?
    I can't find the follow me link anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't add the "Follow Me" link, but you can subscribe to both the posts and the comments in the right sidebar. Also, if you're logged-in to your account on blogger, you can add me directly to your dashboard too!

    Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand the link :S
    Sorry, I'm sort of new to this.
    But i clicked subscribe and it just came up with a list and i dont know whihc to choose...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries! I'm sort of new to this too, so we'll figure something out together.

    Do you have a google account? If you click on the post link under subscribe it will let you select an e-mail account to receive updates.

    or

    When you're logged in to blogger, at the bottom of your account page it should let you add to "blogs you follow." You should be able to add the URL: http://bangsabeardandballyhoo.blogspot.com
    and that'll do the trick.

    If you're still having trouble, let me know. I've added an e-mail address to my blogger profile, so if you click on "see my complete profile" in the sidebar, you can always shoot me an e-mail!

    ReplyDelete