5.12.2009

Napa pt. 2: eating and exploring

Did I mention we had some outrageous food in Rutherford and St. Helena? 

LUNCH
The first thing we did was head to Silverado brewery and knock back a few blond ales. I was telling a friend that their logo looks exactly like a restaurant in Northern Virginia that also brews beer, and I had convinced myself Silverado secretly supplied said VA restaurant with microbrew. That's totally not true by the way.




We only had cheeseburgers and crab cakes at Silverado, but for bar food, it was pretty tasty. 

DINNER
For dinner we dined outside next to the vegetable garden at Go Fish in St. Helena. 


Seriously, the best food I've had in a long time. We had over half dozen oysters with pomegranate mignonette and lime plus hot sake (not because we're being cheap, but because it was a little nippy). At one point, our server was bringing more oysters and saw me getting ready to drink my sake and yelled, "shoot that sucker down!"  Hahaha, you can take the girl out of the country. . .


Jon ordered sushi as his main course, but ended up fighting me for my halibut, which was prepared in a butter reduction with asparagus, peas, lima beans, watercress butter and morels. Holy sweet baby Jesus! I could eat that meal for the rest of my life.

SUNDAY BRUNCH
Since it was Mother's Day, we assumed many restaurants would be crowded so we stopped by Taylor's Refresher around 11:00 a.m. for a quick bite. 


Okay, who knew a burger stand could be that good? Jon got another cheeseburger, but not just any burger. 


I finally found the perfect burger in the wine country (oops, I said it) and guess what!? They have one in the SF Ferry Building!!!! There's a reason this place has been around since 1949. Apparently, I'm the last clueless person on Earth because it's been written up in too many magazines to count. I had a chicken sandwich with bacon, pesto mayo, cheddar jack, and the usual lettuce, tomato, onion that was mouthwatering. I'm making myself hungry as I'm writing this. The sweet potato fries with dill dipping sauce topped it off nicely.


Once we were fully sated, we stopped by the Sonoma Valley Airport. I stayed in the car making Mother's Day calls, but Jon took some cool photos.





Then we came home and started planning the next getaway, which involves one of these planes.

No comments:

Post a Comment