11.15.2009

Denver to Marfa


Jon's posted more great photos to the On the Road flickr album. I'm rooting for a Nikon and for Jon to quit the day-job search and become a landscape photographer.

Our drive through Colorado was nostalgic having spent time in Colorado Springs as a tween. Granted it's been 18 years, but I almost didn't recognize it. Thank goodness Pike's Peak still stands tall over the growth and sprawl. The only time I spent in Denver back then was passing through on the way to Aspen. Our friends were extremely hospitable and made the best meals! Watching three kids under the age of six run around was just what we needed to revive our sick spirits. Denver is such a cool city with a mix of architecture that we didn't properly experience on our short jaunt around town.

Neither of us have driven through the Dust Bowl before, but after reading The Worst Hard Time (a great suggested read by the way), Jon wanted to make the pilgrimage to Boise City, Dalhart and Amarillo. It was somber driving through ghost towns that thrived before the "black blizzards." At one point we stood by the side of the road, and I swore someone was having a conversation across the field, but there was nothing around for miles. I have never heard wind haunted with voices - it's indescribable.

Winding through parts of the old XIT ranch, watching the landscape transform from cattle to bumper sunflower crops to cotton, it was amazing how much influence XIT still has over the area. I'm appreciative to have seen this area of American history, even though the drive is long and uneventful.

Finally, we've made it to Southwest Texas. After being pulled over outside of Fort Davis and discovering that I threw away my proof of insurance card (I handed the officer one from 2007), we settled into the Thunderbird, had amazing pizza and actually saw a few mystery lights (our cowboy friend told us the only way we'd see them is with a 40 oz. of Mad Dog).

Stay tuned for more of Marfa and the final leg of the journey through Austin, New Orleans, Birmingham, Asheville and home.

3 comments:

  1. There is something mystical about the SW, especially the red rock canyons and the desert. I really liked our time in NM and CO. I always have said if I lived any place other than in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA, it would be in NM. Doodiebug, you know who this is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that jon should be a professional landscape photographer. amazing photos. one question... is 'dooder' a pet name of yours? just wondering.... love:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, lee you discovered the secret. you're so attentive! yes, my parents call me dooderbug, doodiebug, etc. and sometimes it gets shortened to dooder. it's funny, i'll answer to anyone who calls me that.

    ReplyDelete