3.15.2010

Decorating for yourself or others?


Ugh, fluorescent lighting, I hate you!

The kitchen in our new space isn't large enough for the Julia Child-inspired pegboard (thank you Domino) that we've had for the past four years. I've grown accustomed to kitchenware hanging around and decided to continue the tradition on a smaller scale.

Then I started wondering where to hang our John Murphy photograph. I love it so much, but do I hang it where others can enjoy it or do I put it where I spend most of my time while I'm at home? Yep, I decided to decorate for me. I've never really considered how we decorate before. . .that we generally display items were proud of for guests to enjoy and peruse.

Eff it. My favorite lamp is sitting in the bedroom, along with my favorite chair. First and foremost, I want to ensure that my home is practical for my use and brings me pleasure. Instead of asking "would that look good above the fireplace," I ask myself, "where do I want to see that on a daily basis?" I guess I rarely find something with the perfect spot in mind. I just buy what I like and have use for and find a place for it to live when I get home. There are plenty of things that aren't on display in our home right now, but I like that because it's a rotating collection of art and objects.

Dwelling. . .now tailored-made for two.

2 comments:

  1. can you put the pegboard on the door to the laundry room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO CAUSE THATS WHERE THE IRONING BOARD IS

    ReplyDelete