3.01.2010

Pinwheel, pinwheel spinning around. . .


Jon and I were scouting neighborhoods last week, and while we're waiting for a light to change, I glance over in some random yard, spy two chairs hanging out on the porch and thought "those would look great on our little patio." These chairs really wanted to come home with us too. They looked so lonely and unused. Jon was ready to turn the car around and knock on the door, but I'm a little shy.

Anyways, so began the obsession. I couldn't stop thinking about them all week. I'm pretty sure they made an appearance in my dream last night, which involved a bowling ball full of water and the Winchester house. Don't ask.

Mr. Hicks in the chair via Mrs. Blandings.

So during my Sunday morning ritual of scouring the Web while Jon sleeps like a baby, I decided to dig around for my beloved chairs. Hello! I had no idea that my beloveds were a pair of Francois Carre pinwheel chairs patented in 1866! wtf?!?!? They were featured in a 1979 Smithsonian exhibit - sweet baby jesus!

These people may not realize what they're sitting on here. I mean, the chairs are buried behind other furniture and random objects on the porch. So what am i going to do? I'm leaving a letter in their mailbox.

Outcome to follow. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. Those are the best chairs I've seen in a long time, certainly lust-inducing from a design standpoint! I hope you get them. It is my Monday wish for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow they are awesome! i'm keeping my fingers crossed:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! If you get them you should paint them a bright color so they really pop. They remind me of the chairs at the Memorial Union Terrace, one of my favorite things about Madison! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93023416@N00/2074652443/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to tell me how that turns out. I've seen some similar remakes of these chairs. I'll try and find them just in case they don't come off those gems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are my new scavenging hero. that is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how exciting is it to see something random, research it, and find out what an awesome history it has? i always loved the "spied it" (not sure if that's the correct title at the moment) column in domino. maybe there's a new weekly feature in the works. rebel scavenger hunt is fully operational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Now be a good scavenger and send Jon over to charm those hoarders out of those chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just purchased a couple of these Sunburst chairs at an estate sale and restored them to their original beauty! PR

    ReplyDelete