10.19.2010


Jon and I were driving in the right lane of a busy road last night, when a car slightly ahead on the left hit a buck. In all of my years, I have never seen this happen. The buck flipped over their car and landed right in front of us. He tried to stand and run, but just sank helplessly in the middle of the road. It was one of the most horrific and sad events that I’ve witnessed. I was balling so hard that I scared Duke, and he licked my hands the entire ride home.

Of course I’m a gigantic hypocrite because I eat meat, but it was disturbing to watch an animal suffer defenselessly and die. It reminded me that everything is vulnerable in the blink-of-an-eye. I apologize for dwelling on it today, but I just can’t seem to stop remembering and wanted to pay tribute somehow.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that vision will haunt you for the rest of your days. May God have mercy on your eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh, it's going to haunt me like a bad dream for weeks on end. i'm afraid to go back to the farm tonight and relive the scene.

    ReplyDelete