12.06.2010

Magnolia wreath


I have never had the pleasure of hanging a wreath for the holidays. Instead of buying something that would be thrown away, I decided to make my own using Magnolia leaves from our backyard.

There are a few lessons learned from my first wreath-making experience.
  1. The only foam wreath left was a white, flat circle. Next year if I decide to use foam again, I will definitely choose a green, round circle. From a few angles you can still see white, so I'll need to fill in a little more.
  2. Another disadvantage of the flat foam wreath is that it snapped in half. It was extremely flimsy.
  3. Okay, the last thing about the foam - next year I'll wind yarn around the foam, so if there are any bald spots they will at least be pretty!
  4. Make sure the leaves have strong stems. When I began inserting them into the foam, a few bent and would not stay.
  5. You really don't need too many leaves. You can see where I started because I bunched multiple leaves together, but that's unnecessary. The more you spread the Magnolia leaves apart, the flatter they will lay.

It's still a mission accomplished. I am truly not a crafty individual, but I'm proud of my 10-minute project.

4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, Julie. I saw this somewhere in blog-land, too, and thought to make it. But we don't have a backyard with magnolias. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Do you still want some of the red berries from the pyracantha in my backyard? They would look great mixed in with the magnolia. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words.

    and Mom ... Yes, I would still love some berries. Thank you for remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!
    I wish I my magnolia still had leaves that I could use to make a wreath. I made one out of old magazines.

    ReplyDelete