1.21.2011

Painting, staining, and assembling


IGNORE THE LIGHTING!!!

Yes, I'm yelling because I'm so frustrated with those tacky-ass fluorescent lights messing up my shot.

Rather than put more horrible pictures up, let me paint the picture for you. We painted the entire area a blue inspired by Farrow and Ball's Hague Blue (more on this in a second). The L-shaped bookshelves were are pine board stained Mahogany and hung on black shelving brackets. The stain looks dark in the pictures. This is Jon's big project, and he did an amazing job. The pictures are a let down to me because it is actually quite beautiful down there. The blue is incredibly moody and has so much depth.

Why this blue?
We couldn't find anything that we loved as much as Farrow and Ball's Hague Blue, but we weren't spending $120.00+ on a gallon of paint. We took the sample to Sherwin Williams and had it color matched. Here's the tip I was talking about the other day, and Jon will kill me if I get this wrong, but chances are I will!

Having a color matched will be extremely close, but never 100 percent. Since Farrow and Ball is speciality paint, it has two additional pigments that contribute to the richness and complexity. You will never be able to add pigments at a basic paint store to achieve this.

So, coming as close as possible involves another approach. Basically, don't listen when someone says, "oh yeah, we have that in our database." Ask the paint representative to dip a color strip into your sample, air dry it, and then use the spectrophotometer to customize the color. It's more complicated than the average "color match" because they aren't simply following what the computer says will be the best combination.

Why those bookshelves?
I've had Ikea Billy bookshelves forever. I thought about bookcases with glass doors, formal built-ins, etc. I've had our books color-coded, arranged by subject, alphabetized, etc. I thought about what was most important to me. Books need to be accessible, informal, and casual. They are meant to be touched and combed through. They are meant to be pulled off the shelf in quick reference to read a favorite passage in the middle of the night or research a point and hastily returned to the shelf. So no more color-coding! This is organized chaos!

P.S. just doing a little bloglovin' housekeeping.
Follow my blog with bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Would you mind sharing your Sherwin Williams formula for the Hague Blue colormatch?

    ReplyDelete