2.03.2011

Heartbreak



When Jon and I flew back to California for Duke, it was one of the happiest weekends of our lives - and a little sad too. Two days beforehand, we learned that Duke had a heart murmur. Without going into detail, once we came home and visited a veterinarian here, we found out the murmur was much worse than we were told.

It was not something that would disappear with age, and Duke would need surgery to live past the age of five. We've kept a close eye on him, but today's visit to the cardiologist didn't go well.

Duke's murmur is worse. It is now severe, and the cardiologist found a new development that she was unable to see before because he was so small. Today we learned that the surgery may not do anything to prolong Duke's life.

So, the waiting game continues as our cardiologist (who is amazing, by the way) shares his case with her colleagues and determines if surgery will be beneficial in any way.

I love this guy so much it's incredible. I can't imagine him not being here for a long time, so Jon and I are keeping our fingers crossed that his bulldog determination will trump the odds.

I apologize for the sad post today. Maybe someday I'll discuss lessons learned about buying from a breeder, research, etc., but now I'm going to smother Duke with hugs until worms away.

Thanks and xoxo,
j.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry for your sad and terrible news. There's always hope for miracles and the unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, J...I'm so so sorry to hear this. Are you going to the Hope Center? They are wonderful there. Seamus had his corneal graft in the opthamology dept. and his eye was saved. Better than the prognosis! I hope that this holds true for Duke, too. Seamie and I will put our paws together tonight and say our prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooooo....That's so sad. I had a similar experience in college when I got my first dog of my very own. I won't go into the details, but I totally understand how you feel. Hope that Duke pulls through and has lots of time to play and cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julia. So sad. Terrible. Terrible. Poor little guy. I feel you heartbreak. I hope he is not in any pain or discomfort. Sending lots of love and positive thoughts. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending lots of love to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for all of the support. It's always hard to hear bad news.

    Meaghan - we're taking him to CVCA in Vienna. I heard the Hope Center was amazing though. I'm so glad Seamus had success. He's such a cute fellow.

    Seriously, so much thanks. You're wonderful.
    xoxo,
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just stumbled across your blog from design sponge, and was shocked to see my pups doppelganger... and although i don't know you in the least i'm sitting here tearing up. i am so sorry to hear that duke is sick, i hope that he pulls through. you all will definitely be in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,

    Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note; I really appreciate it. It's so wonderful to hear from you.

    xo,
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no, poor Duke! I'm so sorry.
    I will keep my fingers crossed that the cardiologist comes back with good news and that surgery will benefit your sweet little guy.

    ReplyDelete