2.08.2011

Progress


image source

We can officially cross 7 and 8 off the to-do list.
7. To choose plants lining the sidewalk
8. To choose plants and start seeds for our garden

Believe it or not, but there's already sprouts along the sidewalk. I'm curious to see how many peonies and iris appear. Since it looks like we're going to have a hearty bunch, we went light on our flower additions. Jon and I decided to have a black-eyed susan vine, lavender, and potted chamomile. I've been reading about growing lavender in our area, and people have been successful. Also, I read that chamomile has done well potted but not inground. I can't wait to open the bedroom and bathroom windows and smell the wonderful fragrance.

For the garden, we're starting off small. We decided to incorporate our favorite vegetables from the crop share last year with a few items that we know will work well in our zone (aka I peeked in my neighbor's backyard). Fingers crossed everyone!
  1. pickling cucumbers
  2. tomatoes
  3. butter lettuce
  4. romaine
  5. spinach
  6. zucchini
  7. eggplant
  8. onion
  9. carrots
  10. leeks
  11. tomatillos

I definitely have to thank Abigail for the tomatillos. I would have overlooked them, but loooooooove them! On a side note: our neighbor had great success with peppers, but I just wasn't feeling it.

So this can go horribly wrong or amazingly right, but I'll keep everyone posted either way!

2 comments:

  1. hurray! I'm so excited to see how your garden grows, even though I'm more than a little jealous you've got sprouts along the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i'm a little nervous, but there's always the farmer's market if something goes south!

    ReplyDelete